Thursday, 25 April 2013

Project I am bored! Part 2

It took a few weeks to get to this stage!
Following the book I was lent to the letter I attempted to tie these springs. Oh my god, it was farcical! It telles you to use your forearm to push the springs down as you are attempting to tie them. Everytime I tried they kept popping back up I would get it in the face etc. So I gave up then came this guy on youtube. He made it look effortless well it wasn't... I tried my best and this is what I ended with ( I did get fed up half way through and ended up making my own version)





It isn't perfect but at the same time I was quite proud. Now I wish I had followed this blog post from the start! It is so clear and detailed it would have my life a lot easier. But by that point as you can see I had stapled the hell out of that chair and wasn't too keen on removing them all not because I am lazy but because I was worried it would weaken the fabric of the chair! Anyway it really should have looked like this picture but hey nobody's perfect!
 
Design Sponge
By that point I had vowed that will follow their instructions to the letter... until I got bored again:)

The next step is to cover the spring with burlap and my chair looked like this:


After that I used spray adhesive to glue some strips of burlap onto the foam, this would make it easier to staple the whole thing to the chair. I never used edge roll like they recommend in the blog simply because I didn''t have any!


It really started to feel good, the chair was taking shape, Zoe even had a good and sat on it. She said it was comfy but for me all I can see if that back spring being slightly higher than the others!!!
After that you cover the whole thing with Dacron (such a weird word! can never remember it). It smoothes out your seat and kind of get rid of imperfections.




VoilĂ :) Next step is to staple the fabric and make the double welted cord  - not too sure how this is going to turn out my sewing skills are pretty rubbish but we will see...
You also got a sneak peak at the fabric I am going to use as I was too eager to see what it would look like and already stapled it to the back of the chair!

Tips for projects like this:

  • research what tools you will need before your start- I really like this site
  • try to get the correct accessories you need - my cord for the springs wasn't very good at all and I don't think helped me in the long run also my bog standard staple gun wasn't great for hard to reach places and was quite painful to use. Now I dream of this bad boy...
  • Set enough time aside to do this without rushing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's very good,congratulations !!!xxxx